Client: Canberra Metro Construction
Final Contract Value: $0.5M
Completion: January 2021 (On Time)
This project involves the construction of a new stop along Stage 1 of the Light Rail Corridor on Flemington Road in Mitchell. Wodens were responsible civil works of the package and which included the following scope of work.
- Excavation, subgrade preparation, backfilling and reinstatement;
- FRP of reinforced concrete foundations, hobs, plinths and pavements for the stop platform and walkway, LV meter cabinet, verge wayfinding and bike racks;
- Supply and installation of all in ground communications, electrical and drainage pits and conduits; and
- Supply and installation of bike racks;
The works were carried out predominantly during a 2 week possession period, in addition to some early works undertaken on night shift during rail engineering hours.
This project faced some key challenges, namely:
- Tight program deadlines;
- A challenging design which was light on details and underwent several changes during the possession;
- Hard ground conditions with the earthworks and trenching slowed down by a thick layer of cement stabilised road base and 350mm thick layers of concrete to be removed;
- Clashes with existing underground services, requiring modifications to drainage design, and lowering of services to enable works to proceed;
- Adapting to and implementing an external WHS and QA system over short timeframe;
This type of project is not typical for Wodens and the project team and all involved received positive feedback from the client and stakeholders as a whole.